Upcoming (Environmental) L&E Conferences
Dear SELE members, please find below information regarding upcoming conferences that may be of interest.
NB: The Heartland Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop has our very own Timo Goeschl as keynote speaker!
Call for Presentation Abstracts
Heartland Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop at Illinois
Saturday November 2 – Sunday November 3, 2013
Submit an abstract to present at the fifth year of Heartland@Illinois!
Deadline for Abstract Submissions: August 15, 2013
See the Heartland@Illinois website at http://events.idtg.illinois.edu/here/
Instructions for Abstract Submissions:
If you are interested in giving a presentation:
– Email a one-page abstract to Heartland@illinois.edu by August 15, 2013
– Put “Heartland Abstract” in the subject line of the email
– Include author(s)’ name(s), contact information, title, and a description of the paper to be presented. Identify the presenting author. Use either .pdf or MSWord format.
– Indicate in your email whether your submission is for a long presentation, 8-minute “short,” or poster. If you prefer a long presentation, tell us if you would be willing to give a “short” or display a poster if the abstract is not accepted for the long format.
– Some travel subsidies are available to speakers with long paper presentations; if you wish to be considered for a subsidy, please explain in the email in which you submit your abstract.
Long presentations should be of research that is at least in first-draft form. Eight-minute shorts and posters are perfect for communicating anything from new ideas to finished work. Abstract selection will be complete with all authors notified of the final program by mid September.
The Heartland Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop will be held for the fifth year at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on November 2 – 3, 2013. Topics for contributed paper sessions will be chosen based on the submissions we receive. The day-and-a-half long workshop (Saturday lunch through all day Sunday) will feature:
· A luncheon with keynote speaker: Timo Goeschl (Professor at University of Heidelberg)
· A luncheon with panel discussion of water issues:
Catherine Kling (Iowa State U.), Sheila Olmstead (RFF), & Jeffrey Peterson (Kansas State U.)
· Multiple sessions of contributed 20-minute paper presentations
· One set of 8-minute short research presentations
· Numerous breaks to share ideas and develop new collaborations
· Research posters displayed during breakfast and breaks
The goals of Heartland@Illinois are, as always, to stimulate research and build community in environmental economics with a focus on the Midwest. The workshop will bring people together to exchange ideas and foster new collaborations. Through selected paper sessions it will identify pressing public policy issues and emerging research themes on environmental and resource economics. Finally, it will provide networking and development opportunities for graduate students in environmental and resource economics.
We will charge only a nominal fee for non-presenters to attend; registration numbers are limited to keep the size of the event conducive to active exchange of ideas. Spread the word and tell your colleagues and graduate students! We hope to see you in Champaign-Urbana in November.
With best regards from the Heartland@Illinois organizing committee,
Amy W. Ando, Kathy Baylis, John Braden, Nick Brozovic, and Madhu Khanna
The Heartland @Illinois organizing committee
Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, University of Illinois
Midwestern Law & Economics Association Annual Meeting
October 11 & 12, 2013
University of Illinois College of Law
CALL FOR PAPERS
The University of Illinois College of Law and the Illinois Program on Law, Behavior & Social Science are hosting the Thirteenth Annual Meeting of the Midwest Law & Economics Association on October 11 & 12, 2013 in Champaign, Illinois. To participate, you need not be a Midwestern economist or even an economist or a Midwesterner. The event consists of law professors and economists presenting papers with varying degrees of law-and-economics content, ranging from empirical analyses and formal economic modeling to legal philosophy and doctrinal papers infused with economic thinking. Presentations will begin Friday morning and end early- to mid-afternoon on Saturday. There is no membership fee or registration fee, but participants are responsible for paying their own expenses. A block of rooms at the iHotel has been reserved for conference participants.
To submit a presentation, e-mail Robert Lawless at firstname.lastname@example.org with an abstract or paper by August 1, 2013. Presentation invitations will be sent out by August 15, 2013. A conference schedule, RSVP information for conference meals, and other conference logistics will be circulated closer to the conference date. Also, information about the conference, including information about hotel registration, can be found on the web site for the Illinois Program on Law, Behavior & Social Science (http://www.law.illinois.edu/iplbss/page/MLEA2013.aspx). Submission is open to all, so feel free to share this announcement with colleagues.